May 2010 We had an idea, an idea to make memories!
| Castle Mtn. Trans Canada Highway |
What exactly are you supposed to do in retirement? What are you going to do the rest of your life?
A great friend of mine and I retired from CIBC/Intria in 2007 (on the same day) after working together for many years. Here it is 2010 and about the only thing I have figured out is to never say no to an opportunity. At least anything within possibilities....
I do remember it was Carol that had an Ah Ah moment when another co-worker of ours was in town, Elaine had retired just before us and moved to Vancouver Island to Woss Lake.
Carol got the inspiration we should take a couple of weeks and go visit Elaine...
Never say no!!!!
And it started.
We started to research places to stay, places to explore. I remember numerous nights at my place pouring over the maps (even lighting one on fire with a candle, by accident!) and I quickly recognized by the level of anticipation and excitement, this trip was a necessity. We both did not want to say NO to a great opportunity. So off we went.....So excited.
"Now days" planning a holiday has changed. With the addition of the internet it becomes a whole new world. You can now see the roads, the B&B's including "Whats for brekkie"I decided to keep a journal of our travels, thoughts etc. What an important thing to do. Reading it now I am so enjoying my comments, memories.I am going to inject those memories into this blog, after all that is the purpose of this blog and to share with a great friend.
We started out in the rain, picked up Carol at 9 AM (Ken with a worried look on his face)
Rain lasted right through to Field.
We stopped at IGA Canmore and Timmies for lunch goodies, then on to the Sprial Tunnels where we stopped for lunch.
| Lunch time at Sprial Tunnels, Field |
| Looks like a bulldog sleeping on log in the forest ;-) |
Our mandate I remember was to stop and smell the roses along the way. No driving 110K and seeing everything through the windows only.
Our first stop was Hemlock Grove Boardwalk just beyond the Rogers Pass. Then Giant Cedars Boardwalk 30K east of Revelstoke.
The sun was peeking through the trees, so far our timing was perfect.
After such a taxing day!!!!!
we stayed overnight at the Comfort Inn Revelstoke.
Friday June 18th/2010
Happy Birthday Mike ;-)
We must have been excited, journal states we were up and had brekkie and were on the road by 7:30 AM.......
Oh I have to add Journal comments! I had forgotten the little things!
We stopped for lunch in Kamloops (would you believe we had Banana Cream Pie! doesn't mention anything else!
Destination for the evg. was Harrison Hot Springs BC arrived about 3:30 pm. Perfect for a walk around town and the Promenade and fish and chips supper on the beach. Then a swim in the Hot Springs before bed.
I think we know how to do holidays!
| Reflections along the road. |
Saturday the 19th/2010
Seemed like a long drive along the freeway to Horseshoe Bay Ferry to Gibsons still on the mainland. Sunshine Coast. We stopped in the town square and had lunch at Molly's Reach. Then drove up the road to Pebble Cove B&B for our third night out.
Beautiful choice for a place to rest.
Quick drive to Sechlett to the info booths for ideas, Town shuts down at 5 pm on Sundays so we drove back to B&B, had fruit salad and Banana Bread for supper! watching ferries, tide.
Great sleep listening to the waves.
Sunday the 20th/2010
Nice lazy day which seemed to be the pace along the sunshine coast. After brekkie we
headed back down to Gibsons early for browsing Unique shops, Consignment shops, cubby holes. Journal reminds me of meeting this unique gentleman with stains on his shirt! giving things away free....Ended up purchasing a beautiful painting of pansies (still hanging in my hallway!) and books, all for $15.00. See, journaling reminds me of great deals also ;-)
Lunch at Truffles Half Moon Bay and supper at Gunboot Inn......
Must have stayed two nights at Pebble Beach????
Monday 21st/2010
I remember we purchased a circle route package for the ferries, can't find details in journal yet but I think it was 5 ferries around the area for just over $300,00.
So Monday we ferried from Roberts Creek - Bowser on the island. Stayed at Shady Shores right on the beach. If I remember properly special during weekdays, three days for the prince of two...another deal ! Very small unit with a deck in front. Could have been very crowded with more visitors but we were early in year.
Pink sunset that evg. Journal says we relaxed on the deck watching the Egret? having his supper also....I remember a drink of Bailey's to help that relax thing ;-)
Journal reminds me it was breezy but warm sun, abpit +18 .....not bad at all for June on the island.
Tuesday the 22nd/2010
Happy 62nd Birthday Heather!
Brekkie on the deck watching the Egret catch his brekkie also.
Day started with getting lost on the one of two major highways on the island. Thought we were heading for 2nd highway and finally realized we were still on the first!!!! Oh well had a laugh about that one....
Found Cathederal Grove and walked through the paths for photos of course....
After lunch we stopped at the market with the Goats on the Roof in Coombs and roamed around. Saw a beautiful Matalise quilt but talked myself out of it.....
Carol bought my birthday supper for me, great restaurant, Salmon burger, mango salsa, delicious. Connie/Maddi/ Barry all called to wish Happy Birthday.
Drive back to Bowser, tired, Baileys, birds, bed and books.....;-) Great day....
| End of day |
Ok I can't get enough of this view....poor Carol, I just wandered from photo to photo.....
I just love this type of vacation.....did I say perfect previously????
An area where the
sky, sea and land become one.
Wed. 23rd/2010
Chemanuis BC
1 1/2 hours from Bowser but such a unique town, starting to think the whole island is unique. A day of browsing antique stores, gift shops and a quiet lunch.
Smoked salmon and bagel cream cheeze and a great tasty salad. Carol and I mentioned often if only the restaurants at home served food like this......
Carol found an egg coddler for me as a gift. She knows what works.....Thank you hon.
We also found a booth that was selling Lady Slipper Orchids....bought one of Elaine to say thank you and of course one for myself.
And yes I stopped at Coombs on the way home to pick up the quilt.....
Bald Eagle waiting for us at Bowser on our last night there.....Saying Goodbye I'm sure..
I loved this area, up later taking photos into the dusk and up earlier wandering on the beach, having coffee on the deck when Carol got up.....We are very good travel buddies.
Thursday 24th/2010
Woss Lake BC Elaine's home
Arrived about 1 pm and she had the best Oyster Soup ready for our lunch!
Went for a drive into countryside collected driftwood as she had just bought a beautiful driftwood hanging for the side of her house and I had to try one for myself......
Friday 25th/2010
Elaine took us on a tour north on the island to have lunch at Telegraph Cove BC
Great day, salmon sandwiches and chowder for lunch at a restaurant on the bay.
Back to Elaine's for a salmon BBQ cooked by her friend, can't remember his name.
Elaine treats her guests royally and we appreciated that....great visit.
Saturday 26th/2010
4.5 hr. drive to Salt Spring Island (another ferry) Stayed at Harbour House Lodge
(very expensive, $200.00 per night, and that was 5 yrs ago!) great balcony view of harbour. Supper was delicious, great salad again....we are missing out!
Disapointed in open air farmers market, small and expensive...I remember going with Elsie yrs. ago and found it great......
View from our balcony after supper. Beautiful....I was just crawling into bed and Carol reading her book when I looked up at windows and saw this.......up out of bed with the camera!
| Finally the moon went to bed, so did we. |
Sunday 27th/2010
In the right place at the right time......A special place and memory.
The mornings usually found me up much earlier than Carol. She read her book much later than I .....So the following morning I dressed quietly as a could and hurried downstairs.
I had heard the rain during the night so thought I might find something.....
Oh my goodness, my journal ends....!!!! Why I don't remember.....did we get to busy at the end of this trip......I miss it already......
I do remember we spent the rest of the day touring the island. I had seen in one of the many pamphlets we pick up all over the place that there was a back road along the coast highway (Still on Salt Spring Island) that accessed the highest point of the island. Ok it did advise road was unserviced I think it said. Dirt and gravel not suitable for trailers and larger RV's....I thought Maggie could make it, didn't think Carol was so sure...but as usual she had some confidence in my decisions.
Road was just fine...narrow but dry, that probably helped..very scenic...steep in places but Maggie and I have seen much worse....
Keep in mind that "opportunity thing"
Another surprise we found down the road heading for the Sidney ferry was farms, perhaps on this particular road.....sell there produce on rickitey old tables at the end of their lane......I just had to stop at one selling the largest white Clematis I have ever seen! (and no photo of t!!!!) And numerous slips planted in a wash tub......They put notes on items and have a cash box at end of table and rely on people's honesty to pay.....You find milk., eggs. baked goods and of course Clematis!!!
I was struggling I wanted it so badly ,can't even remember what they were asking, wasn't much because I was considering it... when the land owner drove down the lane....I explained to her that I didn't have room in the back of the car for the whole tub...did she have any slips I could purchase.....She just plucked a couple out of the tub and gave them to me no charge.....I was so pleased , after she turned back down the lane I left a little something something in the cash box for her.....
Another special memory...
Another ferry trip......On to Sidney BC
I have family scattered around the area, and it wasn't a question whether to visit or not...Carol said she would love it as I knew she would....
Sue put on a BBQ and invited the family to her place, even combined the visit with a wee ones birthday party and a good time was had....I love these guys.....they made Carol feel very welcome.....She helped out by taking some family photos for us.....
| First Cousins! Nancy, Heather, Robbie and Susan |
Monday the 28th/2010
On our last day on the island, Carol and I toured downtown Victoria....
Carol had expressed she would love to go on a Whale Watching tour!
When else would we ever get the opportunity? maybe never so here we go.....
Immediately after buying the tickets I was preparing myself knowing how silly I can get....
I think I overdosed on Immodium and Gravol! just to be safe!!! and I ensured there were bathrooms on the boat.....(there were two, I was safe I thought)
| Identical boat returning to Victoria |
| Carol, having fun!!! really |
Very difficult taking photos on a bouncy boat!!!!!!!!
Three photos of the whales, that's all I accomplished......
Without going into the gory details...I spent the remaining half of the trip in the biffy....emerged looking like a wet limp dishrag......
When I look back now, I enjoyed it....I guess memories fade just like childbirth!!!!
Would I do it again, no but I'm definitely glad I did.......
Tuesday the 30th/2010
Ferryride back to the mainland.
Total of 5 ferry trips in and out of the islands. How beautiful and how much fun we had.
It was another of those trips I was so glad I had the opportunity to take....
Thank you so much Carol for the idea, for the companionship and most of all the memories....
Thank you for being my friend......
PPS
My attempt at 'art' with the driftwood collected at Elaine's....and the crab shell from the restaurant....
My efforts did not last long on the tree....The resident squirrels danced on it daily...!
Plus everyone laughed at it!!!!! I still think it was beautiful....
Record of places we stayed....so organized....
2010
VACATION SCHEDULE
Revelstoke - June 17
& July 1st
Days Inn
Phone – 250-837-2191
2 Queen beds – check in 3 PM
June
17th - Senior rate – $101.15 + $15.17 tax = $116.32
Confirmation # 24570 (Heather)
July
1st – Senior rate - $126.45 + $18.97 tax = $145.42
Confirmation # 24572 (Heather)
Free
breakfast – 6 to 10AM – Visa & MasterCard accepted
Glencoe Motel
Phone – 604-796-2574
Check in 2 PM
2 double beds lower room – $109.00 + 16.35 tax = 125.35 - no breakfast
included
Confirmation
#170C (Stephanie) – Visa
& MasterCard accepted (Heather)
Pebble Cove Cottage B & B
Phone – 604-885-7930
Prefer payment in cash – ½ as deposit, ½
on check in
1 Queen bed – 2 nights @ $120.00 per night (+ tax????) (138.00 w tax)
Confirmation
email rec’d – deposit cheque rec’d – (Carol - &120.00 cheque)
Free
breakfast included – Check in time?
Shady Shores
Beach Resort
Bowser, BC
Phone – 250-757-8595
Beachfront cottage 2 nights @ $139.00 + 20.85 tax = $159.85 per night & 1 night free
1 Queen bed - Kitchenette – no breakfast included
Confirmation
letter rec’d & emailed back (Heather)
Check
in – 3 PM – Visa & Mastercard accepted
Woss – Elaine Gallaway – June 24th & 25th
Address –
Phone –
The Harbour House
Phone – 250-537-5571
Room #203 – Ocean View - 2 Queen beds -
large balcony
2
nights @ $169.00 + 25.35 tax = $194.35 per night (yikes!!!)
Confirmation
# 9603 (Laura) - (Carol - Visa)
Check
in time – 3PM – no breakfast
included
Visa & MasterCard accepted
Sidney Waterfront Inn
9775 – 1st St .
Phone – 250-656-1131
Ocean View room – 2 Queen beds 2nd
floor
2
nights @ $122.00 + $18.30 tax = 140.30 per night
Free
breakfast
Check
in time – 3 PM - notify them if we’ll be really late
Visa & MasterCard accepted
Confirmation
#108835 (Carol Visa)
Villager Inn
244 – 4th St .
Phone – 250-295-6996
Ground floor Queen bed
Senior’s
rate - $85.00 + 12.75 tax = $97.75
Free
breakfast
Visa & MasterCard accepted (Carol – Visa)
****Reg. says they don’t give confirmation numbers
– just write it in their book –
Guarantees we’ll have the room and will
watch for cancellation with 2 beds.
Check in time
– probably 3PM
Revelstoke July 1st
Days Inn - See info for Revelstoke
June 17th on first page
July 2nd –
HOME
No comments:
Post a Comment